Long-term treatments include helping patients through five stages of healing awareness that can help them develop their own medical qigong self-regulation therapy.
Dr. Suzanne Friedman, author of “Heal Yourself Through Qigong” recommends guiding patients through the following self-regulation steps:
- The patient is taught to increase his or her awareness of the body and its current condition.
- The patient is taught to cleanse and purify the body’s energetic fields ridding the body of Qi stagnation and toxic pathogenic factors.
- The patient is taught to strengthen and recharge his or her body to replenish the Qi.
- The patient is taught to circulate the qi internally and externally, moving any stagnant Qi and strengthening the body.
- The patient is taught to dissipate any excess qi from the body with self-massage.
If you are a Qigong instructor, I highly recommend Dr. Friedman’s book, “Medical Qigong Exercise Prescriptions.” If you are a patient, the book “Heal Yourself Through Qigong” is a great resource to learn about Qigong exercises.