According to Paul Pritchard’s “Healing with Whole Foods,” many skin diseases are also a result of faulty fat metabolism, so foods rich in omega-3 can help remedy many skin problems. He recommends using sesame oil when a person has problems with urticaria, acne, eczema, or psoriasis.
(from “Healing with Whole Foods” pg 442)
- Winter squash
- Leafy greens
- Beet greens
- Sea weeds
- Mung beans
- Aduki beans
Avoid These Foods
Mr. Pritchard also recommends to NOT several different types of food if you have skin conditions:
- avoid spicy food
- avoid fatty food
- avoid greasy food
- avoid all sweets
- avoid citrus
- avoid oysters, herring, and shrimp.
If you are interested in trying some natural remedies for skin problems, here are some home remedies Mr. Pritchard recommends:
Rub with sliced cucumber, dab with vinegar several times a day. Avoid soap and shampoo. Wash with plain water.
Apply lemon juice. Wash with castile or other pure soaps that contain no detergents. Apply a paste of bentonite, green or any other clays, moistened with apple cider vinegar as the only fluid. Leave on at least one half-hour, then was off with water.
Apply raw hone or teas of golden seal or poke root. Rub with slices of fresh papaya. Apply a poultice of grated, crushed daikon radish or raw potato. The juice of the radish or potato can also be applied as a wash.
Wash the area with sarsaparilla tea or seawater. Apply garlic oil or walnut oil. Bathe in seawater or mineral water. Add several cups of unrefined sea salt to the bath water. Avoid excessive exposure to the sun.
Meditations to Help Skin
Deep Breathing Meditation
- Sit in a chair, or on a cushion with folded knees.
- Hollow your armpits for Qi circulation.
- Curl your fingers to absorb and release Qi.
- You don’t need to vocalize, just exhale while blowing out your mouth.
- Inhale and breathe in deeply while abdomen expands out.
- Exhale through your mouth.
- Have your mind focus on the movement of the air in, and then out, of your lungs.
- Notice how the air is helping to nourish and help your lungs, skin, and body.
- Do this deep breathing daily.
- You may begin with a couple of minutes, but increase the amount of time until you can spend 12 minutes doing deep breathing.
“Shhh” Sound Meditation to Help the Lungs and Skin
From “Medical Qigong Exercise Prescriptions” by Suzanne B Friedman
- The “Shhh” sound opens the lungs, relives phlegm, and dispels grief.
- Stand in the Wuji Position.
- Begin with a Pulling Down Heaven (see exercise section for video presentation).
- Raise arms above head with elbows slightly bent.
- Bend elbows until hands are on either side of the head, with palms facing forward and tilting slightly towards the sky.
- Inhale Qi in the form of white light to the lungs and skin.
- Exhale the “sh” sound while visualizing turbid Qi and grief leaving via the mouth and palms.
- Repeat 6-24 times.
- End with Pulling Down Heavens.
The health and wellness of your skin is often a reflection of your overall health and wellness. There are different foods, natural treatments, and meditations, which may help improve your skin.