This is an ancient meditation. The history of the Micro-Cosmic Orbit dates back to prehistoric times in China approximately five thousand years ago and can be found in the I-Ching.
The focus of this meditation is to guide the Qi up or down the Governing Channel (along your back) and Conception Channel (along your front). It is also designed to nourish certain acupuncture points along this path that are major points associated with the major organs in the body. Because you are connecting to certain places that are acupuncture points that connect to your major organs, and you are focusing your thoughts to nourish those points, you also end up nourishing your vital organs with Qi.
You can sit or stand in this meditation.
- You can have your eyes open or closed.
- Your hands may be relaxed at your side.
GROUND AND CONNECT WITH THE EARTH
You begin with grounding and connecting yourself to the earth.
After you feel the connection with the earth, take a deep breath so your abdomen rises.
You can take several of these breaths to signal your mind you are beginning your meditation.
VISUALIZE MOVING OF ENERGY AROUND THE ORBIT OF YOUR BODY
(This meditation is from a workshop by Dr. Suzanne Friedman)
- Visualize energy coming from the earth into you’re the middle of your perineum (between where you pee and poop). This is where yin convergence occurs. This point calms the spirit. (Ren 1)
- Visualize this energy of the earth moving up from your perineum to the sacrum pump and then up to the narrow of the back and nourish the area here (Du 4). Allow the energy to nourish this point. It will nourish the blood, channels, and also regulate qi.
- Now move the energy up to the middle of your back and focus on sending the energy to this area of the body. This will help energize the adrenals and the solar plexus.
- Next, move up to the middle of the shoulders, along the spine (Du 14). This point will help energize the heart, lungs, and the whole body. It will also help to quiet and calm, as well as nourish, the spirit.
- Now visualize moving the energy up to where the the back of the head and neck meet (Du 15). Visualize energy nourishing this point. This point helps the joints and vessels and clears the spirit.
- Continue moving the energy up your head (Cranial Pump) and allow energy to be distributed to help calm and relax your mind.
- When ready, continue to visualize the moving of energy up and around to the top of your head. Pause and allow the subtle energy to fill your head (at DU20). This will help nourish your mind, spirit, and heart.
- Now, direct your thoughts and attention to move the Qi down the front of your face, pausing at your forehead, between your eyes (Yin Tang). This area quiets and nourishes your spirit and your mind, as well as helps with insomnia.
- Now, move the energy to your lower lip, and then your throat. Nourishing this area will help your communication. This will also allow the energy to flow into the “window of the sky” your spiritual center (Ren 22).
- When ready, visualize the qi now flowing to the middle of your chest and heart center, pausing a moment to nourish the point between your nipples (Ren 17). This point benefits the chest, breasts, and heart. This point also helps asthma.
- Now, send the energy down to your solar plexus and then down below your belly button. Nourishing this area will help with depression, exhaustion, and relieving pain.
- Now, move down to the area between your tailbone and your anus (Du 1). Visualize the energy balancing the energies within your body, mind, and spirit.
- You have now completed one orbit around the body, nourishing the main acupuncture points that can nourish all parts of your body, mind, and spirit.
- You can repeat the process for another orbit if you choose. You can speed or slow down your visualization based on what you sense you need.
ENERGY FROM THE HEAVENS
Another option is to visualize the energy coming from the heavens into your head rather than up from the base of your body. In this meditation, visualize the energy coming from the heavens and nourishing each of those same points but with the energy from the heavens.
You can also visualize the energy in a reverse fashion from the earth or the heavens. Notice the different results and sensations you have when you go in a different direction.
This is a great meditation to use each day, especially if you have a chronic illness, including cancer. This is also a great meditation to help you clear your mind and help you focus on resolving a problem that is troubling you. You can often get the answer you are looking for in the meditation, or shortly after the meditation. In addition, this meditation helps nourish your spiritual energy reserves. So if you are looking to have spiritual experiences, this meditation is for you.